Advances in stroke care have brought to life the concept of the Stroke Center, a group of people from different areas of a hospital who work together to diagnose, manage, and rehabilitate stroke patients. This group of articles describes what resources hospitals are required to have before they can become stroke centers, and why these superb facilities provide superior care for their patients, and their communities.
- What is a Primary Stroke Center?
- What is a Comprehensive Stroke Center?
- The Role of the Acute Stroke Team in a Stroke Center
- Find Stroke Centers in Your State
The majority of strokes are treated with medications. In addition to weighing the above factors, doctors also consider how long before treatment the stroke occurred when selecting a drug for a patient.
- The basics of stroke treatments
- Coumadin for stroke treatment and prevention
- Heparin: A Drug for the Treatment of Some Acute Strokes
Some strokes can only be treated surgically. While drugs carry their own risks, performing a surgery to treat a stroke brings a whole other set of concerns to the table. Still, these procedures can be life-saving.